And respond, he did. Speaking at the 2nd Amendment Rally in Des Moines, he told the crowd each question and his responses.
1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights? Yes and yes.The other candidates put me on mailing lists and spam me every day and never once replied to any of my questions. The one thing that does stick in me is to ignore me. I will not support any candidate that would shrug off a common citizen like me.
2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state? Yes, that is the primary role of government.
3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional. I am still looking, the only one that might be close would be the ban on convicted felons from possessing firearms.
4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional. Starting with the National Firearms Act of 1934, nearly all of them are.
5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont? Yes!
6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right? Yes.
7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Oppose. Why? First step to confiscation.
8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms? I oppose licensing requirements.
Why? It's a God given inalienable right codified in our constitution, we do not need a license to exercise our rights.
9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed? I would start with the Brady Bill and work from there.
10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?
From my web site issues page:
The framers of our Constitution knew that the government should never have a monopoly on force, that’s why they articulated our God given right to self defense and ensured the right to keep and bear arms was written in our Bill of Rights. Let’s not forget, George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
Further information can be found here: http://www.funkforcongress.com/category/2nd-amendment
I think I can deliver a few votes for Mr Funk tomorrow - the rest of the 3rd district voters may choose as they wish.
An interview from last week:
Live From The Path - 05/31/10 from Live From The Path on Vimeo