Thursday, March 3, 2011
Stylish - What?
ASM826 over at Random Acts of Patriotism seems to think I have style.
My first response is ppffftt. I have never been accused of having style. Character maybe (as in I'm a character), but style? Nope.
The Theme\Meme seems to be: List seven things about yourself that other people might not know. Then pass the award to 15 other bloggers.
Like people would be interested in me...
Okay, I'll bite.
1. My favorite car was my 68 Falcon. Nothing pretty but it was solid, reliable transportation.
2. I'm the last of 11 children (and no, we are not Catholic or Mormon). My sisters used to introduce me as the baby of the family until one day I corrected them in front of their guest by saying it took Mom and Dad 11 times to get it right. Dad thought it was funny but Mom had a different opinion.
3. I shook the hand of Governor Robert Ray at a Hawkeye football game. The only time I ever saw him or a game live and in person. We had a nice chat and the Hawkeyes won that day. Still not a big fan of either though.
4. My first gun was a Glenfield Model 60. It was given to me by my brother and I gave it back to him for Christmas a few years ago. The following year he gave it back and I returned it to him the next Christmas. It's now a tradition to pass it to each other at least once a year.
5. The boys and I made a trebuchet for a science "fair" (not a competition because, you know, everyone is a winner - ugh). We set it up and threw water balloons at the other kids. Yeah, we would have won. After storming the gates with our battering rams...
6. One of my favorite movies is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Mindless escapism, all-star cast and Ethel Merman falling on her keester.
7. When I was 17, I was taking my grandfather home and I drove through a four way intersection. A couple of seconds down the street he remarked, "They must have taken the stop sign down since the last time I was through." I muttered, "Yeah, they must have," but he knew and was cool enough not to rat me out.
I could add several other things to the list since my wife never reads this blog. Maybe another time.
And now for the tags:
The Rifleman a nationally ranked shooter who combs the internet for gun news so you don't have to.
Escape from: Oppression in the Midwest keeping an eye on Illinois injustice. And now in Wisconsin.
Midwest Chick at Non-Original Rants looks at the world from all angles.
Hope and Change Cartoons commentary on our state of affairs or affairs of state. Take your pick.
Green Mountains Homesteading Vermont freedom fighter.
Coordinated Illumination gives a unique look at our world.
While Xavier hasn't been keeping up with the blogging, look back through the older posts for some wonderful story writing and his pawn shop finds.
Since I am an Iowa-centric Blogger, here are a few others with connections to the Hawkeye state:
True Blue Sam A true woodsman who now is in the Land of Lincoln.
The Travis McGee Reader from the frozen and beautiful Iowa's Spirit Lake area.
Robert's Gun Shop fighting the good fight for the Iowa Firearms Coalition. We don't always agree but we're in this together.
Ben and Bawb's Blog where Bawb gleans the archives for valuable shooter information. His articles on Military and Survival make for some good reading and may help you in a pinch.
Cold Hard Cashner Iowa's hard fighting libertarian.
Burlington Derailed has been a thorn in the side of southeastern Iowa for several years and doing a good job of it.
The "insightfully vulgar" State29 keeping an eye on our state's political machine and Register hacks.
And the irreverent Iowahawk who understands what satire is.
All of these blogs have given me valuable information, humor to warm the heart and almost always given me something to think about.
If you haven't visited, please go to some of these blogs. If you're disappointed, you get your money back.