Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow shoveling stories

This story, Walking in the Snow, reminded me of a couple of experiences I've had through the years.

One heavy snow I shoveled my driveway and sidewalks. I then went to a widow's house down the block and shoveled her out. In the middle of that task, a neighbor joined in and helped me. We then finished her driveway and saw another neighbor and joined in their labor. And then we found another in need next door.

At the end, it was maybe 6 neighbors that had joined forces and shoveled out widow's, retiree's, and single parent's driveways and sidewalks.

It was a good thing that it didn't snow for a while after because I couldn't move for a week.

Another time was the first winter in our present house. Our elderly neighbor was a little grumpy towards the young couple (us) that moved in next door. The first snow, I shoveled her driveway. I got caught when she opened her garage door to bring out her snow blower. I refused any payment but I was the happy recipient of some homemade bread later that day. I snuck over earlier on a couple of other snows that winter, and we became good friends.

It's times like these, a large snow fall, flood, or major storm, when we find out who our true neighbors are. People who work together for a common good and reciprocate just because.

H/T to David at The War on Guns

No comments: