Wednesday, March 31, 2010

And now, a few words from the Register

At the Des Moines Register, Lawmakers approve bills for concealed guns, I-JOBS

From the sky is falling crowd, Rep. Mary Mascher, D-Iowa City:
"...this kind of reciprocity, I think, is a formula for disaster."
From the bonehead status quo section:
Rep. Bruce Hunter, D-Des Moines, argued for retaining the discretion of sheriffs to deny permits for any number of reasons.

Hunter contended that it's rare for sheriffs to be overprotective and wrongly deny gun permits. And if that's a problem, voters can oust the sheriff, he said.
I guess he hasn't lived in Des Moines, Louisa or Johnson counties. Or maybe Benton county, where you can only carry while hunting.

But another view:
"This bill is a first step forward toward restoring true constitutional rights to carry a weapon," said Rep. Dwayne Alons, R-Hull.
We will have to keep him at his word and take the next step. Too bad he didn't persuade a few of his cohorts in the legislature to pass the amendment to eliminate the whole permit process.

And the obligatory NRA reference:
The bill's passage is noteworthy in part because it marked the re-emergence of the powerful National Rifle Association on the Iowa political scene. Quiet in Iowa for years, the gun advocacy group made a major push for the bill. (Not to mention their work on the disarmament bill they helped write - ed)
As if Iowa Carry or Iowa Gun Owners sat on their hands and needed the professionals to swoop in to save us.

6 comments:

Ben said...

Even if the NRA had done nothing, the press would have attributed the new law to them. To them the NRA IS the "gun lobby."

Bawb said...

I'm surprised. That was actually a fairly coherent and informative article considering it was from the Register, aka Prairie Pravda.

OF COURSE I think the broad who's having a hissy fir over reciprocity is an idiot.

straightarrow said...

Uh, excuse me but the NRA swooped in with dicks in hand and did their best to stick them in Iowa Carry and Iowa Gun Owners.

They actually could have been some help, but chose not to be.

strandediniowa said...

I think you know my true opinion of the NRA hacks. It was an attempt at sarcasm, SA.

straightarrow said...

I know, I just wanted to be sure nobody thought I felt different than do you.

strandediniowa said...

I'm pretty sure people know how you feel about the NRA, SA.

I've read some of the reactions to your comments on other sites. Sites I generally don't go to anymore.

I was at snowflake's for some reason after the healthcare vote and he didn't want to criticize some "yes" votes because the congress morons were pro-gun. WTF?

Those who compromise will either bend over to take it or bend over to give it.

Bawb, I like the "Prairie Pravda" and agree with that description.