Friday, March 19, 2010

Thank you to Sam

Today's thanks goes to True Blue Sam who also has been sending readers this way.

This week's Weekend Steam puts me in a mood to get back in the fields. Head over there to see some power of a more simpler time. More at Sam's Steam

I grew up too late to work with these machines, they were used in my dad's generation. I used to rake hay and cultivate corn and beans with a two-row Farmall C and I drove a "Johnny Pop" John Deere A bringing in hay wagons.

These days I thrash my head on the keyboard trying to keep my disk shelf up and running. It's not the same.

Thanks for bringing back memories of watching these great steam engines at work.

5 comments:

Bawb said...

I learned to drive on a 1937 B John Deere. I wish Dad had kept it; I might have restored it one day. They used to describe the sound of a ruffed grouse drumming as like that of a two-lung Johnny Popper starting up. How many people know what the hell a 2-cylinder Johnny Popper sounds like anymore?

strandediniowa said...

WHO radio of Des Moines has a tractor ride at least once a year. It's annoying if you have to drive through/around them, but it's cool to watch these old tractors of various makes take one more ride.

Homestead, IA has a Minneapolis/Moline and a Allis Chalmers meet every year as well. Some of these I had never seen before.

The first tractor I "drove" was an Allis Chalmers C. I was 5 and steered it while dad threw hay off to the calves. (I couldn't reach the pedals, so I wouldn't count that as driving)

strandediniowa said...

That old Farmall C that I spoke about was my grandfathers only tractor he ever bought.

My brother has it now and still uses it to mow with.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

You're Welcome! I am glad to hear that folks are using my list to check out the fine blogs out there.

strandediniowa said...

I'm hoping a few will head your way as well.