Wednesday, September 30, 2009

State Pol calling for Iowa gun right amendment

Chris Rants actually does something I can agree with. Rants calls for state gun rights amendment
Republican gubernatorial candidate Chris Rants of Sioux Ctiy [sic] is calling for another new amendment to the state’s constitution, one that guarantees Iowans have the right “to keep and bear arms.”

Iowa is one of six states which do not have such an amendment in their state constitution, and Rants says that’s important given today’’s announcement that the U.S. Supreme Court will hear a gun rights case.
I was really thinking of maybe, kinda, sort of coming around to the guy. But then we find out this:
Rants is not a gun owner or a hunter

“I still believe that’s a right that someday I may want to take advantage of,” Rants says.
No, he's just an opportunistic politician puke, who's trying to drum up support from gun owners in Iowa.

Well, good luck with that.

This putz is willing to have State Troopers carry guns to protect his sorry backside if he became governor, and he's perfectly willing to pull the wool over Iowans' eyes to get there.

I can't wait for him to show up at the ubiquitous politician pheasant hunt at the big-time donor's pasture. I hope he knows the four rules and passes his hunter safety test.

Des Moines Register has a brief article, too. Rants: Iowa needs to protect the right to bear arms

No, we need statesmen not politicians.

Update:This sparked communication between Rep Rants and myself - My apology to Rep Rants

3 comments:

straightarrow said...

You might want to take a closer look at him. He may really be honestly stating his position.

I have fiercely defended the right of people to go about armed, either openly or concealed, without any state permission slip.

I have done so for many years. Yet I do not go about armed. However, I would take up arms to prevent the state or anyone from denying unalienable rights to citizens, if that becomes our last recourse.

strandediniowa said...

I hope you are right about Rants, SA. But from what I've seen from him, for years he comes across as a country club McCain Republican.

I agree about going about without the permission slip. I don't know why I need the county Sheriff's okay to something I have a right to do.

I don't go about armed, but if I needed to, a piece of paper isn't some magical talisman.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unknown said...

Mr. Stranded...

As a general rule I don't respond to nameless blog posts - but I'm going to make an exception today.

I'm perplexed by why my lack of gun ownership or hunting experience causes such hostility.

I understand that in searching for a candidate to support that people want someone who shares common experiences - so I would understand why that lack of experience might disqualify me from earning your support. But why the hostility?

You neglected to post the full quote which included "“My neighbors, my fellow citizens certainly should have that right, regardless of whether I take advantage of it.”

While I don't hunt, I have many friends that do. My best friend goes coyote hunting. I have a friend that manufactures precision rifle barrels. Another is a gun smith and owns a fire arms retail shop. None of them are bothered by my lack of ownership. (Although my gun smith friend I think would really like to sell me one.)

I'm not a smoker. But for years I've defended smokers and bar owners who want to allow smoking in their establishments. None of them have labeled me "an opportunistic politician puke."

I don't home school my kids or send them to parochial school. Yet for years advocates of religious choice in education have counted on me to defend their freedom to educate their children as thy choose. They don't think I'm a "putz" because I put my kids in the public schools.

You'll be waiting a long time to see me at a photo-op pheasant hunt. It would be fake - and that's why I haven't done it in the past, and won't do it in the future. I routinely turn down an invitation or two to go hunting a year - its always a matter not having enough time. If and when I take them up on it, you won't hear about it, nor see any pictures.

I'll keep defending your rights because I believe in those rights, whether or not you believe in me.

You can label me a lot of disparaging things - but a country club McCain Republican was the worst. Especially since I think McCain is one of the worst things to happen to the Republican Party in two decades. You may not like me anymore for supporting Romney, but it wasn't McCain. Nor do I belong to a country club. I'll admit that golf IS my sport. Its a passion. But where I play there aren't swimming pools, dinning rooms or tennis courts. Somehow, I imagine you were referring to his policies - and I don't think you'll find any similarity there either - from immigration to campaign finance to the courts.

Lastly, did any other candidate yesterday recognize the significance of the McDonald v Chicago case, and the courts decision to review it? What the addition of Sotomayor may mean? Or the fact that Iowa is one of only six states without protection? If not, you might want to re-think the "idiots in politics" label.

You don't have to like me or support me. But at least oppose me for the right reasons.

Chris Rants