Saturday, May 1, 2010

2nd Amendment quotes

From sheriffs in SE Iowa Sheriffs: Weapons law threatens safety:
(Referring to the new law) "I still think it's one of the dumbest things they've ever done," said Lee County Sheriff Buck Jones, noting no one knows their jurisdiction better than the local sheriff.

Jones said unless an applicant fails the standard requirements under the new law, then "I think we're going to end up having to give (permits) to anybody who wants one."
I guess Jones has other rights he would rather you not exercise in his county, just because you want to.
Des Moines County Sheriff Mike Johnstone, a vocal opponent of the bill, has said the matter should have remained under local control.

"I'm all for Second Amendment rights, I have no problem with that," Johnstone said. "But when you literally take all discretion away, there will be people who will be carrying who should not be. We won't have the adequate ability to prevent someone who is mentally ill from getting a permit."
From a sheriff who hasn't read the law. All they have to do is give a documented reason and no permit. The "because I say so" won't be a valid reason. Oh and then there's that "but" again.

And ending with this gem:
"What this does, it allows someone to carry a .44 magnum into a Walmart at two o'clock in the afternoon, and there's nothing I can say about it," Johnstone said. "There's no way I can screen these people, unless I can prove they have a record or something else."
What this idiot doesn't realize after using his "Dirty Harry" reference (ha ha) is that he has no "say about it" now. If someone wants to walk around with a firearm concealed, they can do that now. Not much he can say about that. Happens all the time.

Some people carry without a permit and no crime, no negligent discharge, no one hurt or dead. Some people carry and bad things happen.

This is what a free society is all about. Not allowing our "betters" in political positions rule over us. Losing a little power apparently is a bad thing to some of them.

Looking at the lobbyist declarations for SF2739 there is nothing from the ACLU.

3 comments:

straightarrow said...

If I'm not mistaken "sheriff" comes from old English and means "chickenshit bully". Of course, I could be wrong, but I see no modern day indication that I am.

strandediniowa said...

I really miss you when you don't stop by, SA.

You're about right on this one.

straightarrow said...

I come by every day, I just don't always comment.